Typically, a short-term loan advanced for improvements in a residential
property, such as additions and alterations, maintenance and repair, or
replacement of structural parts. While "home improvement" often
refers to building projects that alter the structure of an existing home, it
can also include improvements to lawns, gardens, and outdoor structures, such
as gazebos and garages. It also encompasses maintenance, repair and general
servicing tasks. Home improvement projects generally have one or more of the
· Upgrading heating, ventilation and air
conditioning systems (HVAC).
· Upgrading rooms with luxuries, such as
adding gourmet features to a kitchen or a hot
tub spa to a bathroom.
· Increasing the capacity
of plumbing and electrical systems.
· Waterproofing basements.
· Soundproofing rooms, especially bedrooms and
Maintenance and repair
Maintenance projects can include:
· Roof tear-off and replacement.
· Concrete and masonry repairs to
the foundation and chimney.
· Repainting rooms, walls or fences
· Repairing plumbing and electrical systems.
Additional living space may be added by:
· Turning marginal areas into livable spaces such
as turning basements into recrooms, home theaters, or home
offices – or attics into spare bedrooms.
· Extending one's house with rooms added to the
side of one's home or, sometimes, extra levels to the original roof. Such
a new unit of construction is called an "add-on".
Homeowners may reduce utility costs with:
· Energy-efficient thermal
insulation, replacement windows, and lighting.
energy with biomass pellet stoves,
wood-burning stoves, solar panels, wind
turbines, programmable thermostats, and geothermal exchange heat
pumps (see autonomous building).
Safety and preparedness
Emergency preparedness safety measures such as:
· Home fire and burglar alarm systems.
· Fire sprinkler systems to protect homes from
· Security doors, windows, and shutters.
· Storm cellars as protection from tornadoes
· Bomb shelters especially during the 1950s as
protection from nuclear war.
· Backup generators for providing power
during power outages.
Depending on the amount for repairs, the entire amount may be advanced
upfront. If the improvements to be made could be considered substantial, it may
be more beneficial for you to set up draws for your money (see construction